Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Issue : Feminism - this is what Emma Watson thinks

This is a heavy topic and I must warn you, if you do not want to be challenged mentally and think through what is happening around the world right now (and decades that have past) regarding gender equality, then you should stop reading here.


But for those who has witnessed some inequality in some shape or form, then I think it's time we speak and discuss this issue.


This issue that affects the way I live my life and the way that women live their lives around the world. So what is the big deal? And why did Emma Watson speak for over 10 minutes at the U.N. Headquarters in NYC about this?

Below are quotes from Emma's speech, they provide clarity:

"For the record: Feminism by definition is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes," the British actress said, framing gender equality as a human right."


Watson also cited Hillary Clinton's 1997 Beijing speech about women's rights to show that strides forward have been slow: "Sadly, many of the things that she wanted to change are still true today."


"How can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation. Men, I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation, " she said as the audience cheered. "Gender equality is your issue too."



If we think of it a little further, gender equality extends both ways. Men in this society are often pressured to act tough, strong and not show any signs of vulnerability and any sign of weakness. So therefore, blocking half of human emotions.

This obviously does not sound great and as Emma has pointed out, the biggest killer in the UK for men is suicide. This rate is higher than diseases, heart attacks, etc.


So I would like the men to support the women and I would like the women to support the men.

Because in all honesty, I cannot or could not have lived without the men in my life, my father, my grandfather and my fiance. So I am sure you would say the same.



What are your thoughts?

What have you experienced?




Xo



P.s Feminism is not a cringe-worthy word. Your mother, sister, grandmother, aunt and cousin needs your support to stand up for what is a human right.

No comments:

Post a Comment